Monday, April 12, 2010

Seashell basket given a new life. .

I found this little guy hiding at the DI for 2bucks. I wasn't really sure how to fix it up but I got it with the hopes some fabulous idea would come to me.
 
Posted by Picasa
I sanded it down and gave it a coat of black-high gloss-spray paint. I printed one of my mom's favorite sayings off of the computer and Mod Podged it where the funky little seashell thing use to be.

'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain.'

Mod Podge is suppose to seal everything but I figured this would probably end up in my mom's bathroom and decided a coat of poly urethane wouldn't hurt anything just in case some water ended up splashing.

 
Posted by Picasa

I had a black distressed picture frame that the back was broke on and a black mirror that was from the dollar store and I locktited them together. I then locktited the mirror/frame to the inside of the basket and c-clamped it until it cured.
 
Posted by Picasa

This is what it turned out to be. . .
 
Posted by Picasa
I probably should have taken a picture without the towels and lotions but my mom took off with it shortly after it was complete and I didn't want to mess up her 'arrangement'. I have to appologize for the fuzzy-not-so-great pictures. . . I think I'm going to have to splurge and get a better camera. . . These pictures don't quite do it justice.
Total cost of this makeover? Under 5bucks!!
(Not including all the extras she had displayed in the basket)

6 comments:

Salty Gal said...

Good job again...I love that we all like to makeover junk :)

I am going to have a yard sale and was thinking we could do a craft/yard sale and try to sell some of these things we have been making over...just a thought.

Unknown said...

I love my new bathroom decor! My husband was also enthused, which usually doesn't happen with home decorations. When Jackie found the original little box and wondered what she could do with it, I just looked at her with raised eyebrows, but low and behold, what an excellant transformation. My inlaws are visiting in three weeks I can't wait for them to see all of the projects Jackie has done. Great Job Sweetie!!!! Thanks!!!!

Sadie said...

Wow! I really like that one. It turned out fab. I want a closer look at the pic frame. I may be popping over to your moms house....probably around dinner time. Hehe...

Jackie the Junk Junkie said...

Hahaha. Sounds great. I'll invite us both over for dinner. Whatcha cookin', Momma??

Unknown said...

Chicken Breasts, Scalloped Potatoes, and Brocoli....come on over!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

What a neat project and the picture/mirror frame combo is so clever. I have to try it now.