Friday, May 28, 2010

Teacup Bird Feeder

What a fun little idea to turn a teacup, saucer, and spoon into a charming bird feeder/bird bath!!
Brit, at Esbe Chic posted this idea a little while ago on her blog and I just had to try one for myself. Cuteness. . . .
A tutorial on this can also be found here on Cap Creations.

Note:I tried a few different options on the posts and none of them were successful.
 
I thought I found a real steal with the aluminum pole from this flag set but it was a big fat fail along with some other materials I tried.
Let me know if you try one of these and make it work with something other than the copper pipe. I finally got digusted and went and bought a stick of it ($9-something at Lowes and then caps were $.48 each)

I found the teacups and acessories at the DI (big surprize) for dirt cheap.
 
 
I used Locktite Extreme to bond the cap to the saucer and let it set and cure for a couple of days.
It does make quite a difference when adherring the copper to the ceramic if you sand both pieces first. . . make SURE you sand it or you'll be pealing off the glue and doing it over the next day anyways. . . (trust me)
 

This is what I ended up with. . . Cute but I wasn't really happy with it.
Lucky for me, I had already Locktited the Damn darn thing together. . . .
 
Grrr. . . .
 
I decided the post would look much better in an Ivory color. . .(I just wrapped the completed teacup with a plastic grocery bag and spray painted the post)

 

 
Aww yes. Much better. . .
You are suppose to fill the cups with water but I was too lazy to get some in there before I took the pics.

 

Check this out. . .
 
My mom had this wreath up on her front porch and a couple of robins thought it looked like a mighty fine spot to build a nest.
 
Now they have a cute little spot to grab some lunch too :)

Posted by Picasa

I'm linking this at

Stop by and check out what others have done this week :)

5 comments:

Salty Gal said...

I love it!

They turned out super cute. I need to get my arse together and make some!

Ps, I love the robin egg pictures. They are such a pretty blue.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Jackie....with your tips...I think I just might be able to make one of those. I'm off next week. Think I'll give it a try.

Gloria McAllister
Roanoke, VA

P.S. I just love your blog.

Jackie the Junk Junkie said...

Thanks Gloria!
I love all of your wonderful comments :D

Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life said...

Jackie, Thanks for visiting my blog today.

I'm loving all your projects and I think I see some that I need to copy!

sistersue said...

OK Jackie I think we are totally twins separated at birth! Look closely at the plate and bowl I used in my tiered serving piece and it's the exact same as your plate in your birdbath (here is the link http://sassystylz.blogspot.com/2010/05/crafting-my-heart-out.html)

AND I got it at the DI, too.