Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Altered art. . . Thanks to Jim and Jerry!!

This was some kind of a wall hanging I suppose. It had a hanger on the back, the outer part is tin, and the center piece is ceramic tile.

 

It was $1.50 at the DI. I didn't really have anything in mind for it at first and then I ended up with some decrepid picture frames from Blue Mule Auctions a couple of Wednesdays ago. I got two different ones in the lot for $2.50.

 

I papered and taped off the tile piece and used some Italian Olive spray paint.

 

I took some fine grit sandpaper and rubbed off the paint over the tin's embossed details.

 

Next came the tricky part. . . . .
The frame I chose to use was made out of wood but all of the ornate detailling on the top was a type of plaster. . . .not fun to cut. . . It was so old that the pieces on the top would chip of really easy and it was a nightmare to get the 45s to line up.
Long story short and huge props to Jim and my Step-Gramps, we got it so it was useable.
Oh yeah. . . there was a crazy little lip along the back of the frame that was a bear to get to line up on the tin piece too. . . I should have looked closer at everything before we started marking and cutting. . .HIND SIGHT. . . .

 

There May. . .or May not have been several "Sailor type" words used durning this process. . . .


I think it turned out pretty dam-----dang good.

 


Wanna know the best part?

I was in Michaels last Saturday and saw a very similar one (except a little smaller and not quite as heavy) priced at $29.99!

Total cost of mine with paint and everything? $4.75!
Wah-BAM!!

 


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

You are so clever and this came out beautifully! Don't you love it when you see real world proof that your creativity saves you MONEY? And your home is lovelier in the bargain, what a deal!

Nikki@KreativeKnack said...

Cute! Sailor type words...even cuter! lol!

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

WOW! You did it again. It is amazing!! Can you come help me at my house? :)

Thanks for linking up to Transform Tuesday. Looking forward to next weeks transformation!

Sadie said...

Cute!! Love it. You are so busy all the time. I need to get some of your energy. Do you sell it?

Southern Reflexions said...

Hey...Saw you over on Mommy Moment...Your blog is really cute and looks fun to follow!! :-D I love seeing other people's crafty ideas!!! :-D

~ Marlie

http://southernloves.blogspot.com/