Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Martha Stewart inspired Window Greenhouse

I am linking this to The CSI Project this week:)
Visit thecsiproject.com
As well as The County Chic Cottage's Window Party :D


I was totally inspired by Martha Stewart's GreenHouse window project.
Heres a picture:

 

I have a window in my kitchen that always grows the best plants but my silly dinning table is there. The table is usually full of whatever I'm trying to sprout at the moment so there isn't much room for everyone to sit for dinner. What a great idea to put some shelves in and stack the plants right in the window. (I use my sill now but there isn't much room. . . only enough for a couple of pots at a time)

Check out Martha's Greenhouse idea and tutorial here.

I really liked the clean look of the glass but didn't really want the headache and hastle of having the pieces cut and edges sanded. Plus, I didn't know if it was worth all the brackets mounted into the window frame or not. . .
Here's what I came up with as an alternative.

I used some old scrap wood that had been hanging out in my mom's backyard since last summer. (You can't complain about FREE. They were planning on hauling it away soon so I salvaged some just in time)
I measured the pieces to fit inside of my kitchen window. I was so proud of myself for actually getting the pieces cut right the first time and not losing any fingers in the process. . . . and WITHOUT any adult suprevision, I might add. hehehe.
This is the frame with a coat of primer on it.
 
It took a couple of coats of white paint to get the wood so it looked even and clean. . .even AFTER I had primed the sucker. (I also salvaged the paint from left overs my mom had from painting her house. Score!!)

 

. . . My neighbors probably thought I was a totally weirdo and taking pictures of them through my window. . .
They were standing on the deck and all I could do was giggle to myself imagining what must be going through their heads. It must have been about 11pm or so when I finally got the this up in the window and I was so excited it was done, I whipped out the camera to snap a few. . . in my fuzzy pink bathrobe and everything. . . hahaha

 

You can't really see it in the pictures, but the top of it is a little thicker and wider wood to make it like an awning. (a little decorative affect, I suppose)
I also added some 'rails' to give it more personality and to prevent the pots from tipping out. (I have cats and kids that like to knock things over so its better safe than sorry I suppose.)
 

 

Now all I have to do is wait for them to grow. . . thats the toughest part ;)

Here are is a close up on a couple of pots I painted and made the charms for.
 

This project barely cost me anything. . . the wood and paint were salvaged so all I was into it was a few nails and screws. . . plus a couple of planters to fill up the shelves.
Awww. . . . I love freebie projects . . . and Martha Stewart. . :)

8 comments:

Nikki@KreativeKnack said...

What a great project! I love the pots and tags! too cute! Happy Growing!

Unknown said...

I love how it looks Jackie. You are so talented and creative. You must have gotten it from Grandma, cause it certainly wasn't me.:)

Johanna said...

This is great! Way to build it all yourself.

Erin @ The Little Apartment said...

Nice idea, I love how simple it is. AND I love plants, so win - win.

René said...

I have always loved this project. Nice job!

Angie Holden said...

This is an awesome idea!! Thanks for linking up!!

Sadie said...

I love it!! Come to my house and help me make one.

Life in Rehab said...

Totally brilliant, and a nice little bit of carpentry.